Characteristics of Home Buyers
• Fifty percent of recent home buyers were first-time
• The typical first-time home buyer was 30 years old,
while the typical repeat buyer was 49 years old.
• The 2009 median household income of buyers was
$72,200. The median income was $59,900 among firsttime
buyers and $87,000 among repeat buyers.
• Twenty percent of recent home buyers were single
females, and 12 percent were single males.
• For one-third of recent home buyers, the primary reason
for their recent home purchase was a desire to own a
Characteristics of Homes Purchased
• New home purchases were at the lowest level in nine
years—down to 15 percent of all recent home purchases.
• T he typical home purchased was 1,780 square feet in
size, was built in 1990, and had three bedrooms and two
• S eventy-seven percent of home buyers purchased a
detached single family home.
• E leven percent of buyers over 50 purchased seniorrelated
housing or in an active adult community.
• When considering the purchase of a home, commuting
costs were considered very or somewhat important by
76 percent of buyers.
Start your New Home Search TODAY. Contact us Directly
919-434-4100 or firstname.lastname@example.org
We serve the Raleigh Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary NC Real Estate area