Raleigh, N.C. — Wake County’s housing market may be turning a corner. Year-to-date sales in the Triangle are up 4 percent over the same time last year.
The increase in home sales is good news for home builders participating in the 45th annual Parade of Homes. The event gives prospective buyers a chance to tour 187 new homes across Raleigh and Wake County.
This year’s tour is focused toward smaller, energy-efficient and more affordable housing. Only two homes are priced over $1 million. In year’s past, as many as 40 homes showcased millionaire luxury.
Prospective homebuyer Fernando DaRosa moved his family from New York to Cary in December. He said lower housing costs drew him to the area.
“What you get for your dollar is a lot nicer down here. So that’s the reason we came down here,” DaRosa said.
DaRosa and his son are touring the Parade of Homes to get an idea of what’s on the market in single-family dwellings.
Single-family permits are up 17 percent in Wake County, but home sales in the Triangle were down 17 percent over the summer. The slump is being blamed, in part, because the homebuyer’s tax credit expired last November.
The Parade of Homes continues Sunday, and will also run on Oct. 8-10 and 15-17 from noon-5 p.m.
Prospective homebuyers on the tour can use a new iPhone app to filter and search home information by builder, price, square feet and location. The free application, which can be downloaded from the iTunes store, also gives directions and offers videos of the homes.